Why is proper dental hygiene important, as explained by Mississauga, ON area dentist
At Huron Dental Centre, Dr. Jameela Jifri and her dental associates spend plenty of time with patients discussing their dental health needs. She also educates patients on why proper dental hygiene is so important. Patients in the area of Mississauga, ON are welcome to book an appointment with her and her staff to learn all there is about good oral health care and the benefits of proper dental habits.
Why should patients be aware of their oral health and wellness?
There are many reasons why oral health and overall health are linked. A healthy mouth is best for your body, and here are a few examples:
- The health of the body can be determined by the mouth. Have you ever been to the doctor for a checkup or a physical and had the physician take a sample of saliva with a swab? This is because the mouth can be very telling when it comes to a variety of health concerns. Swabbing saliva can also be used to obtain DNA for genetic testing or can be used to detect stress responses and cancer.
- The mouth can determine the first signs of health problems. The oral cavity provides an important vantage point for doctors who are looking for signs and symptoms of certain systemic diseases, such as HIV, AIDS, and diabetes. The Academy of General Dentistry reports that approximately 90% of systemic diseases and disorders produce signs and symptoms in the mouth.
- The mouth is an infection source. If patients do not keep their teeth clean with regular brushing and flossing, they may be causing plaque to build up along the gum line. This creates a perfect environment for bacteria to accumulate. These bacteria will develop into gingivitis and later, without treatment, periodontal disease. This infection can then spread through the bloodstream and affect other areas of the body, causing an increased risk for heart disease and strokes. Maintaining oral health can significantly reduce these risks.
- Cavities can impact the natural smile. Patients who ignore their oral health may also develop problems such as cavities. These areas of tooth decay can be extremely problematic. The decay can cause deep holes in the teeth that may be sensitive to sweets or temperature changes. They can also get deep enough into the tooth to infect the dental pulp inside, requiring patients to undergo additional treatments such as root canal therapy to save the natural tooth structure. By taking good care of the smile, the risk of decay is greatly reduced.
- A beautiful smile can be achieved. With proper care of the teeth and gums, patients can enjoy a beautiful smile. Some patients may still have imperfections that make them self-conscious about their smile’s appearance, and these can often be addressed with our cosmetic dentists. Cosmetic restorations such as porcelain veneers or professional teeth whitening can be used to achieve the attractive smile patients have been interested in obtaining. Our dental staff can make this dream a reality for many of our patients who visit for comprehensive dental care. With a wide selection of dental services, patients are excited to work with our staff and speak to a team that is here to help from start to finish!
Why should I maintain a healthy smile?
As you can see, the oral cavity is the link to the whole body through the systemic connection. When patients maintain a healthy smile, they can considerably reduce their risk of other problems. Working with our team of professionals, patients can start taking charge of their oral health with regular cleanings and evaluations. When issues arise, our team can assess the issues at hand and provide recommendations for treatment to bring the smile back to health. At Huron Dental Centre, we evaluate each patient for their risk of dental problems and provide viable options for treatment to address these concerns. In doing so, patients will experience overall health and wellness.
Are you interested in discussing your dental hygiene with a dedicated professional in Mississauga, ON?
Contact Dr. Jameela Jifri and her associates at Huron Dental Centre today to schedule your consultation visit to learn about achieving and maintaining healthy smiles. The practice is located at 3085 Hurontario Street, Ste. 208 and can be reached at 855 393-0900.
Back to Dental Hygiene Page